Old December 24th 10, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default SSA Copyright

On Dec 22, 2:35*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Dec 22, 11:48*am, Andy wrote:

I had a look at the on-line SSA Sailplane Directory and have to say it
looks like a very nice addition to our information sources. *I noticed
that there were no pictures of the ASW-28 and was thinking of
submitting some.

I then found the conditions for posting pictures:

"It is a condition of submission to and acceptance by The Soaring
Society of America, Inc. (SSA) that all material submitted for
consideration and/or publication (including photographs and text),
whether submitted as a result of a request by the SSA or not, is
submitted on the basis that the SSA has the right, without payment or
compensation, to reproduce and sell or distribute freely, and to
authorize third parties who are engaged in the dissemination of
information relating to the sport of soaring to reproduce and sell or
distribute freely, such material. By submitting such material to the
SSA for consideration and/or publication the submitter represents that
they hold the right to grant a release of copyright in respect of such
material. If the submitted material is clearly identified with the
name of its creator suitable attribution of its source will be given.
It is a condition of submission to and acceptance by The Soaring
Society of America, Inc. (SSA) that all material submitted for
consideration and/or publication (including photographs and text),
whether submitted as a result of a request by the SSA or not, is
submitted on the basis that the SSA has the right, without payment or
compensation, to reproduce and sell or distribute freely, and to
authorize third parties who are engaged in the dissemination of
information relating to the sport of soaring to reproduce and sell or
distribute freely, such material. By submitting such material to the
SSA for consideration and/or publication the submitter represents that
they hold the right to grant a release of copyright in respect of such
material. If the submitted material is clearly identified with the
name of its creator suitable attribution of its source will be given.
"

This is the same condition as for pictures submitted to the magazine
or to the calendar. *It is the reason I have not submitted any of my
pictures to either, and also the reason I will not submit any of mine
to the Sailplane Directory.

If I submit a photo to SSA I think I should be allowed to specify what
it will be used for and that any other use should require my approval.
Under no circumstances should I be required to give up the copyright
to my work.

Does this copyright policy bother anyone else? If not, why?

Andy

Managing third party copyright content like this would be complex and
would be a significant distraction and expense. What item can be used
for what and when, in what form and resolution, with what
acknowledgment/clearance is required for each end every item. Managing
all that is complex and costly and the downside of an aggrieved
copyright owner coming back and seeking compensation are a risk. This
is not unusual for unsolicited articles/content. I would not want to
see my SSA fees wasted on managing complex copyright issues--and I am
quite OK knowing there may be some nice content we don't see because
of this. For key important/solicited articles I assume the editor
would be open to negotiate copyright assignment terms (e.g. for use in
the magazine and reproductions of the magazine only).

And strictly you are not "giving up copyright" on your work, you are
assigning rights to the SSA and others downstream for use related to
the sport of soaring. You retain all other existing copyright owner
rights.

Exactly. A few years ago, Soaring Mag published an article of mine. A
couple of years later, Mr. Google found it had been published in the
Canadian soaring magazine.
First, this is exactly what the SSA says it has the right to do. And I
was glad it was republished.
Second, it is a bit rude: when SSA re-releases a work, the author
deserves (especially with written works) to be notified, especially in
order to correct it if desired.
Third, publishing a broadcast notice like this on their web site or
publishing it in the mag (as they do) would probably not, according to
my attorney (who's done some copyright law), protect the SSA if a
lawsuit were filed.
But... (4th), the commercial value of what we publish in Soaring Mag
is pretty close to zero. Even the professionals are working more for
love than for money.
Thus, (5th) no matter what the copyright violation, there will be no
material damages.
Danl J