Old February 15th 21, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default PW wing template anyone?

Hi JJ,

Stand the cardboard vertically on the wing parallel to the chord, or on
the under side if you want a template of the bottom. Lay the marker on
the wing parallel to the span and perpendicular to the cardboard. Move
the marker in a chord wise direction to mark the cardboard. Trim and
repeat as necessary. You'll get a perfect template for that wing station.

I made saddles for my LS-6a almost 30 years ago by covering the wing
(top and bottom) with aluminum foil at the desired location. I then
covered the foil with plastic wrap, the plastic wrap with felt, and laid
up fiberglass over top of that. Made a perfectly fitted cuff (on one
wing, at least).

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Dan
5J

On 2/15/21 12:49 PM, John Johnson wrote:
You can make a profile template very quickly with a piece of cardboard,
a fat marker, and a pair of scissors.

Dan
5J

Hey Dan,
Not trying to sound any dumber than I am - but is there a technique to the cardboard and scissors approach? Or is it just a cycle of trimming and fitting until you get it right? I don't need a very accurate template for my case (need a sheet metal shop to make some tie down saddles for by DG300), I'm just thinking about how to get it right the first time.

thx, JJ