Old August 30th 04, 07:59 PM
José Herculano

Dunno about John, but my conclusion is that there is no essential
advantage in combat between a one and two jet aircraft. As long as T/W
is adequate, it doesn't make much difference. The increased complexity

The stats I've seen seem to support your comment that for fighting the
aircraft it really doesn't matter much, although there is not a lot of
relevant data regarding the latest generation of birds... the latest wars
have not - thankfully! - been high on combat attrition.

As for anecdotal evidence, I've seen pictures of an F-105 and an F/A-18 that
came home with an IR missile in the butt. Don't know if an F-16 could have
survived that, though.

But most of the flight hours are not spent in combat, and the stats say that
engine-failure prangs are higher for single engine birds. Those stats also
say that those engine related mishaps are not usually fatal, due to the new
high-tech escape systems. So the question seems to be whether an higher rate
of silk coming down is that relevant. And the answer seem to be, it depends.
In the frozen expanses of Finland or Canada, the rugged terrain of
Switzerland, the outback of Australia or the big drinks, it may well be an
issue. And all those have opted for a twin engine solution.

I don't think that the USAF F-35 will have a problem by being a single
engine aircraft. And the perceived need for the STOVL variant almost
mandated the single engine. And so the Navy must get the short end of that
deal...
José Herculano