Old March 1st 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cherokee 180 soft brake - causes?

David Lesher wrote:
"Dave Stadt" writes:

Ahem.. it's not alcohol-based; it's glycol based. (Except DOT-5 which is
silicon..)

Ahem..glycol is.....well why don't you look it up.

Could be, I'm no chemist (and got a C in the subject to prove it...).
But everything I've read on it describes it as glycol. The other
one most of us think of is anti-freeze. Time was, that was
alcohol...well, it used to be it evaporated regularly.

To solve that {and corrostion issues...} Ethylene glycol as "permanent
antifreeze" came on the scene in the 1950's/60's. If that's an
alcohol, then I've learned something new. It sure doesn't burn like
one...

A hint: glycols are two-valued alcohols (two hydroxyl groups).

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi