Old June 24th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

Default An open letter to Tom Poberezny

On Jun 23, 1:52 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:
I sincerely hope this is a joke. At least part of it. I agree that theEAA
posture about the Young Eagles has been focussed on the quantity of people
flown. I wonder if anyone has done a follow up to see just how effective
that thing is in generating aviators. I mean would those aviators
attributed to the Young Eagles program been aviators anyway? Did the Young
Eagles program really change the direction of some individuals? I don't
doubt that there were some examples of this but what kind of effectiveness
is involved. What is the ratio of actual re-directed individuals to the
total number flown.
On the other issue raised by Mr.Ross, If EAA expands Oshkosh much more to
non-aviation things, like jet powered trucks, Ford cars, Honda generators,
John Deer Tractors and now Hooters and some kind of dating game business?
I've already asked them to consider relinquishing the title Experimental
Aviation Association as they need to rename it more appropriately. The focus
of Oshkosh has been trending away from the experimental side of the EAA.
Also the magazine has lost some meat even though it has gotten bigger. One
year, I think it was 2005, the Oshkosh video sold by EAA did not even
mention experimental aviation, with the exception of some Rutan space flight
data. It did not mention the awards, it only had some Mooney and Piper
aircraft at Oshkosh mentioned. Besides there are a bunch of experimental
aviation nuts that would like to use that title. EAA and its title is a bit
like the US and its constitution. We got it but it doesn't mean what it
used to anymore.

--
Stuart & Kathryn Fields, Publishers
Experimental Helo magazine

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

RST Engineering wrote:
Oh, you guyz gotta read this. It is (you should pardon the expression) a
hoot(er). The hell of it is, he might just have more than a grain of
truth in it.

I've seen guys desperate for a date do some weird stuff, but this ranks
right up there!

Matt- Hide quoted text -

I am going with his ideas to a point. I agree the Experimental
Aircraft Assoc was formed to perpetuate the concept of someone being
able to create his or hers own plane. After attending Oshkosh last
year the whole show looked more like the " certified" aircraft assoc.
My plane has an alternative engine in it and the EAA treats us like
second class citizens. That is exactly the reverse of what it was
founded on. Now I am told this years young eagle flights are to be
flown in certified planes only, no experimentals allowed. They have
lost their direction for sure.... Of course this is just my opinion..
And I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn express last night. G

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com