View Single Post
Old November 5th 16, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FAI, soaring and Olympic Games

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 7:32:28 PM UTC-4, Sean wrote:
College Soaring is an AMAZING idea Gregg!

We could help create a virtual engine (with careful care and feeding) that would give high school and college kids a focus. Learn to soar, learn cross country, get your CFIG to teach other youth, learn to race and compete and win in College on your College Soaring Team.

If the SSA actually pursued any of this ideas with any focus (rather than recreating their own rules, for example) we might have some growth.

Meanwhile, we look forward to the upcoming US rule changes which provide ZERO measured (or other) value to our sport.

College Soaring Teams in the USA? I truly love this idea. Did I bring this up before? ;-) Just like College sailing, the local club that hosts these teams will get a huge boost. I am thinking of Sandhill hosting the University of Michigan near my home. Imagine 100 American colleges with active soaring teams (with instruction, coaching, fun social activities & social networks surrounding them) and a network of contest, competitions, championships and ultimately a College National Championship.

Why not high school too?

It just take 5-10 to start...in 20 years, this could be really big.

Sean

How about making it the Collegiate Soaring Association?
UH