Old April 1st 04, 03:00 AM
Mark Zivley

Default Fiberglass / Mold release advice requested

Note: remove the second "hot" in my "reply to" to email directly

I'm working on a project to fabricate a fairing to cover a small
protrusion. I've made a mold (external) that I now want to cover with a
mold release agent and then put fiberglass on top of. Ideally I'd like
to be able to remove the fiberglass from the mold without destroying the
mold. The mold is somewhat delicate in that it is foam covered with a
thin layer of plaster of paris that I sanded smooth. I painted it with
a glossy spray paint to get a smooth surface finish to try to help the
mold release agent be successful. However if the mold release has too
much adhesion I'm concerned that the foam/plaster of paris will come off
with the finished fiberglass piece.

Basically the mold looks like a teardrop shape (cut in 1/2) and I want
to put the glass on top of this, yet get it off the mold once the resin
cures.

Ok, I bought some stuff from Aircraft Spruce called "plastilease 512b"
and I've played around with it just a bit. It seems slippery enough
when it's still damp, but once it dries it appears to stick pretty good.
Masking tape adheres well to the dried plastilease. If the
plastilease came with instructions, I have lost them.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/mold.php

1. do you put glass/resin on while the plastilease is still wet or is
it intended to dry first?

2. is there a better mold release agent that I can use?

Any additional suggestions welcome.

Thank you,

Mark