View Single Post
Old September 24th 15, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Advertising for tow pilots

As a reasonably large Club (120 members, 2 tow planes)we have found that it is important to work with your insurance company and convince them that you have good written programs, procedures, check rides, etc in place. They will then tend to allow you to provide a good deal of latitude to your Chief Tow Pilot and Chief Glider Instructor. While the 500 hours is a good basic number you need this latitude. Currency is every bit as important as total hours over the last XX years. Even more important is attitude and judgment.

The 150 TW hours is, in my opinion, far too high. While our average TP candidate has high total time we only require a TW endorsement and 15 TW hours.. We then give them 10 hours of training in an L-19 including a minimum of 10 dual tows. Our other TP is a Pawnee with the STC to 250 HP.

Our big problem now is the fact that the fleet if L-19s is getting long in the tooth, and we have not found an acceptable 2-place replacement. We fly off of short grass runways and Super Cubs and other 180 HP tugs do not give us the safety margin we really need. Another problem is the high cost of getting the TW endorsement. I have had several retired airline types tell me they would like to tow but 15 hours of dual at a local FBO at $150 - $185 per hour is too steep for them.

Any suggestions on a replacement for our L-19 on short grass fields will be appreciated.

Skip Guimond