Old July 5th 03, 11:09 AM
Cub Driver

the P-59 was never intended for combat
use.

Hap Arnold certainly thought he was getting a combat airplane in the
P-59A (not to be confused with the never-built P-59). If he'd wanted a
test-bed, he could have ordered something on the order of the Gloster
Carter Farter or the little Heinkel.

This thread is a bit silly. There was only one jet fighter in WWII,
and that was the Me 262. Getting there too late for combat (P-80)
doesn't count. Chasing V-1s (Meteor) doesn't count. Being deemed
unsuitable for combat (P-59A) doesn't count. The only thing that
counts is shooting down enemy aircraft.

Anyone who has followed my postings on the German air force knows that
I'm not a greater admirer of its war-fighting record. But in the case
of the Me-262, the Germans built a handsome, innovative, and
terrifying war machine. We can all be grateful that it came too late
to make any difference in how the air battle over Germany worked out.

all the best -- Dan Ford (email: info AT danford.net)

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub