Old February 6th 04, 07:57 PM
Stefan

Robert John wrote:

I flew from the Wasserkuppe in a K-21 behind a 'Pellican'.
Not a pleasant experience.

I've flown a Janus behind a G3-Mirage. It takes definitely longer to get
off the ground, but once airborne, the climb rate is nearly that of an
"ordinary" plane. The whole tow takes a bit longer, but due to the much
lower cost of the UL, it's still much cheaper.

I'd say it works fine from a paved runway or from a long grass runway.
Not recommended from short runways or with a tailwind, especially if the
rope break options are difficult or if there are obstacles at the end of
the runway.

Stefan