Old June 18th 04, 05:00 AM
Marty

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Anyone know what the rules are what restrictions there are in the KPDX

area
on the 4th of July evening? I know there is a large gathering of people at
KVUO in Vancouver I cannot find anything in the NOTAMs. a friend of mine

is
wanting to go up that night and take photos of the fireworks from a
distance.

NW,

In most cases the Display Operator contacts the controlling facility and
works out any details during the permit application process.
In the case of a display being conducted within an airports' controlled
airspace, The operator contacts the control tower just prior to the
beginning of the show and after the conclusion. It is up to the controlling
facility whether the airport is closed, traffic rerouted, or no change of
operation. That decision is based on weather, the proximity of the display
site and the location of the display site in regards to runway
approaches/departures in use.

Many displays are conducted on the city airport property and are closed when
the fireworks arrive on field. NOTAMs would be put out in this case.

I have done several displays at Kemper arena in downtown Kansas City and
worked with the KC Downtown tower many times and we handled traffic
differently at different times but never closed the airport. Usually it was
up to me to stop the display if a plane was on approach. The ultimate
authority/responsibility is on the shoulders of the Display Operator.

So, if your buddy gets to close to the display, the show will be halted till
he leaves. It is that simple. I have had to stop a number of them for this
reason. The issue of being to low over an open assembly of people is someone
else's problem.

IMHO, an airplane is about the worst place to watch and take pictures of
fireworks, the effects are generally washed out by the contrasting city
lights. Most fireworks only go a few hundred feet.

OTOH, it is neat to go up and watch all the displays going on in the
distance but you might be disappointed with any photos you take. Been there.

The biggest concern to me would be how many other folks are flying and
watching fireworks ;-)

Marty