Old February 19th 17, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Why are side sticks unpopular in sailplanes

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:06:04 -0800, Del Jensen wrote:

How does a side stick compare to a parallelogram stick (e.g.
Glasflugel)?

DG-300 is also a parallelogram stick AFAIK. I've not flown a Glasflugel
Mosquito but I have sat in one I was considering buying and handled the
stick. The Mossy and the DG-300 sticks seemed pretty similar except that
the Mossy's trim worked a lot better. From what others have said, it
sounds as though the side stick is less 'natural' because centralised
ailerons mean the handle sticks out horizontally from the cockpit wall
but in the DG-300/Mossy its vertical like a conventional stick. Both side
and parallelogram sticks require you to rotate your wrist to operate the
ailerons, though with a parallelogram stick that would depend on just how
you hold the stick.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK