Old December 23rd 03, 05:10 PM
Scott Ferrin

On 23 Dec 2003 07:51:59 -0800, (Henry J. Cobb) wrote:

http://www.japan-press.co.jp/2331/self.html
The Japanese Self-Defense Forces have started their first aerial
refueling exercise with U.S. forces in preparation for the
introduction of their own refueling aircraft in 2006.
Defense Agency Director General Ishiba Shigeru said the SDF's
possession of the capability to attack enemy bases outside of Japan is
"worth sincere study."

So, which aircraft would japan send on a bombing mission in 2006?

The F-15Js don't seem to have a ground attack capability.

http://globalsecurity.org/military/w...apan/f-15j.htm

So I guess it's up to the F-2 attack fighters.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/f2/

But I don't see any mention of a built in laser to guide the bombs.

The US has sold LANTIRN pods to Singapore so I suppose Japan could
have some of those for the asking.

http://pmdtc.org/docs/congnotices/CN097_01.pdf

-HJC

Wouldn't JDAMs be easier?