Old September 26th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Default Airplane prices are ridiculous

On Sep 11, 1:13*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:

Electric transportation of any kind where you have to carry your

own energy
source is a toy unless you have an onboard nuclear reactor to provide the
electricity.

The Soviets and the U.S. have already tired nuclear flight.
It only works if you omitt the lead shield as the Russians
did. The Russians all died.

And that changes my statement how?

By virtue of the fact that it can't be done.

Since it has been done, it can be done. QED.

--
Jim Pennino

Oh, I think we all understand what I meant by...

"It can't be done". If it kills the humans, it can't be done.

For your information, actually it can be done now...
but you don't know why.

People in 1961 said it could be done too. Here's what
they were thinking:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...-atomic-plane/

But subsequently as explained in this documentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S86zR...eature=related

It was abandoned for basically 3 reasons-

1) It could crash anywhere and the reactor would in effect
become a dirty bomb. This was unacceptable.

2) Inability to shield the pilot from irradiation.

3) Radioactive fallout spewing out the tail due to the direct
cycle system. The indirect cycle (liquid metal) technology
was never achieved. It could be today.

---
Mark