Old March 1st 04, 07:00 PM
George Ruch

(Smartace11) wrote:

1. No WSO: Physically impossible in an F-111 (any model), and even more so
in an F-4. Google "F-111" and check the cockpit layout.

There was nothing in the F-4 that would prevent it from being flown without
someone in the rear cockpit. The only necessary system there is the Inertial
Nav and that can be ser up on the ground with power connected. Radar wold be
inop and no contro lover jammers but not needed in an area like Laos.

I stand corrected. I was thinking that a conventional strike mission would
need radar, jammers and a WSO to run them.

Another correction. I have seen local incentive flights with various
versions of the F-111 (once INS is aligned), but again, the typical deep
strike mission absolutely needed a full-time WSO to manage the nav/attack
functions. The AC had his hands full flying the airplane and making sure
the auto-TF did its job.

| George Ruch |
| "Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?" |