Old February 8th 17, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Default Test results LiFePO4 glider batteries after 6 years

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:07:04 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Misread you question. When coming off the charger they show 14 or a bit more volts. When put on the tester that voltage drops almost immediately to 12.5 volts and then stays there till it drops off rapidly at the end of the test cycle.

David
ASG29E BV

Thanks David, bring your tester and park again in Perry where I can use your water supply, please.

Below are several notes I found on LifePO4's:

The LiFePO4 batteries exhibit slightly different properties: They have a bit lower operating voltage of about 3.2V – 3.3V, the minimum discharge voltage is 2.8V and the maximum charged voltage is 3.6V. The LiFePO4 is a kind of Li-Ion rechargeable battery intended for high power applications, such as EV cars , eBikes, electric bike, Power Tools and RC hobby.
The LiFePO4 batteries have more constant discharge voltage and are considered to offer better safety than other Lithium-based batteries. Other advantages of the Lithium-based rechargeable batteries include the ability of a much faster recharge and higher discharge rates than other chemistries mentioned and usually higher number of recharge cycles rate, IEC Standard) , meaning longer life when not fully discharged, but its energy density is lower than normal Li-Ion cell (Li-Co)

LiFePO4 life expectancy is approximately 5-7 years.

It’s important to use a LiPo compatible charger for LiPos and LiFePO4 compatible charger for LiFePO4 batteries. They charge using a system called CC/CV charging. It stands for Constant Current / Constant Voltage. Basically, the charger will keep the current, or charge rate, constant until the battery reaches its peak voltage (4.2v/ 3,6V per cell in a battery pack).. Then it will maintain that voltage, while reducing the current. On the other hand, NiMH and NiCd batteries charge best using a pulse charging method.. Charging a LiPo / LiFePO4 battery in this way can have damaging effects, so it is important to use a LiPo / LiFePO4 compatible charger as appropriate.

Hmmm... a 4 cell LifePO4 @ 3.6V per cell is 14.2 Volts. My charger charges mine to 14.41 volts. Volts start out lower but increase to 14.41 as they reach a full charge. They said life expectancy of 5-7 years but that seems to be not to a discharge state we may be using them to which may effect them. But not lower than 2.8V per cell, which is 11.2V for a 4 cell.

Have about 180 cycles and the 10 amps are 3 years old.

See you in Perry.

Best. Tom.