Old November 8th 03, 02:42 AM
Eric Ulmer

Jay wrote in message ...
I'm taking my PPL and trying to locate a
decent/depedable 152 to purchase rather than
keep renting.Also how many hours on the
TTAF time is too many before problems arise.
It seems most flight schools are selling
around 9k-10k hours?
Any 152 sellers out there?
Thanks Jay
Nashville TN

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

What's your bracketed expense range you can afford to pay, Jay?

A Cessna 150 or 152 is really of limited value other than for weekend
jaunts and local flights/training. If you have any fattys or bigguns
in your family, you'll be disappointed in its performance in the
summertime and likely be flying close to gross all the time. If the
airplane is really just for yourself and the ocassional passenger, the
C152 is a good deal.

It's a horrible one if you want to carry any non-pilot types more than
100 miles.

If you can find a C175 with a solid airframe, there are some
attractive options which allow you to basically get a C182 equiv
performance for a C172 price...

I'd Examine the 220 Franklin and the 180 Lyc conversions, in that
order.

C175s are horribly undervalued in todays marketplace, and I'd hunt for
one with a runout engine and crappy paint.
(You always need a hot paintjob to go with a hot engine)

Check out some examples:
http://www.geocities.com/greatpunkin170b/
http://www.eaa1000.av.org/progsumm/feb96/franklin.htm
http://franklinengines.com/cessna.cfm
http://www.hangar9aeroworks.com/108TweedieF-220.html
http://www.taildraggers.com/PersonalWebPage.aspx?jeff
http://www.taildraggers.com/old/airp...0/jmfr220.html
http://franklinengines.com/

I was researching this for awhile, but came across a Bonanza for a
steal so I never chased this dream. I kinda wish I would have though
because the Bonanza is a blood sucking slug living inside my wallet.