Old April 21st 05, 08:40 AM
G Farris

In article , says...

Jay Honeck wrote:

Every indicator I can find shows that the French have killed general
aviation -- or nearly so -- for everyone but the very rich.

If I didn't know it before, I'd do so now: You've never been in France.
I have. You're just plain wrong.

I think Jay is neither completely right, nor completely wrong.
I don't know any "very rich" people flying in France, but all ther people I do
know are those who have managed to allocate a sufficient chunk of spare cash.
Many are young, with no family yet, who have a small apartment (or still live
with their parents) and other compromises in life. When they get married, and
baby comes along, flying stops. Often you see them coming back in their 40's,
when they manage to get the budget back on track.

I think it's true, even obvious, that the cost of flying in Europe is the main
reason why there are relatively few who take it up. And I think it's just as
obvious that the fuel price, rental prices and other use taxes account for
much of this expense.

I don't think it's ridiculous to say the authorities in France are "killing"
general aviation. Many - probably most - private pilots in France feel this
way, and it's clearly expressed in the aviation press. The authorities in
Europe do not see GA as a useful, economically beneficial instrument, but as a
high-risk hobby. Add to this the perceived "pollution" (air, noise and
land-use) and you have a double-whammy that Europeans are sensitive to - risk
and pollution.

There is also an attitude difference in pilots. Many Europeans are more
oriented toward leisure flying, and long for the unfettered days when they
could take to the skies in their warbirds and do a few spins. Many Americans
enjoy the challenge of using their planes to go somewhere, and as such their
attitude is much closer to a professional transport mindset. In this respect,
it may be an exaggeration to say the European authorities are "killing" GA -
instead they are setting the standard much higher - squeezing out the leisure
sector, and reducing the activity to those who are willing and able to move up
to a more professional standard - that includes equipment, mission profile and
mindset. American regulations and costs allow plenty of room for both types of
activities (and quite a few others).

The very high investment (time and money) required for IR training in Europe
is a good example of setting the bar high. The weather in northern Europe
precludes any serious notion of transportation under VFR. You cannot plan any
trip several days ahead of time and have a reasonable expectation of being
able to complete it under VFR. If you want to go IFR - you have to make the
grade. The committment level has to be high - otherwise you will stay close to
your home field, and close to the ground, where you will have plenty of
freedom to exercise your risky, polluting hobby.

G Faris