Old December 13th 04, 01:44 AM
Almarz

A friend who is from The UK remembers Spits for about 100 dollars with
a spare engine. His dad didn't let him have one though, no room in
the garage. Stearmans were bought mainly for the full tanks of fuel
and I think a T6 could be had for about 1.2K. The deals were there
until about 1963 or so when the interest started to build.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:40:56 -0400, "Juan Jimenez"
wrote:

I heard stories that after the war, the government was trying to sell brand
new P-51's still in the crates, with new engines, for something like
$1200... I wonder what the spread of TT is on the P-51 airframes.

"Bela P. Havasreti" wrote in message
I recall reading that towards the end of the operational
"life" of the P-51 Mustang, the military put G limits on
the airplane that were more restrictive than the factory
originally specified (forget just what the new limit was....).

Point being, the military realized the airframes were
getting old/tired, and did the prudent thing by limiting
the G loads on the poor ole' gals.

It would be foolish to think one could operate an aircraft
up to the design structural limit forever....

Bela P. Havasreti