Old August 27th 04, 06:25 PM
Alfred Loo

IIRC China has enough conventional missiles to flatten Australia. Nukes not
needed. But then why should they?

"zalzon" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:54:41 +1000, The Raven wrote:

Perhaps, although China could probably flatten Australia with missiles

long
before anything came into intercept range.

You mean with a nuke?

I doubt if nukes will be used in a conventional war with China by either
side (US + allies or China). US will just 'hold the line' on Taiwan and
China will throw everything it has in its conventional arsenal at the US.
If that don't work, settle in for a long attrition of firing missiles till
Taipei caves in.

Since Indonesia is not likely to field anything close to a credible
military threat to australia, its puzzling why they would want to
introduce these missiles into the region. It seems more likely that it
would negatively impact their security if other SE Asian countries
introduced air-to-surface standoff missiles of that range.

Which brings me back to my original theory of US wanting to start an arms
race in the region. It would boost exports of armaments (particularly
long range airpower) now that demand from the middle east countries has
dried up.