Old January 30th 21, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default USA automated panel-cutting service?

On 1/26/2021 8:56 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
Anybody able to recommend a USA company that can do automated panel
cutting (from CAD)? Or maybe in Canada? Fiberglass panel, typical glider
panel overall size, flat surface with uniform depth flange.
Thanks!

Geeze guys, CAD does not mean Carbon-pointed-pencil Aided Design.
Yes, I do have 3D CAD model to ensure no interferences...

Thanks Hank and JFitch for reminding me to try Rex, who sent the
reply below. Large-bed CNC router might make nicest result.

Dave,

Water jet has a delamination problem with wet layed up fiber glass
structures like the Shempp panels. (so I am told. I have no direct
experience.)

The laser does a nice job but it burns the material and leaves a charred
edge. This is fixed with a bit of touch up sanding. The thick Shempp
panels require 2-3 passes of the laser so the there is a bit of finish
work after the cut.

CNC mill does a nice job but my table does not have enough travel to cut
a panel with out repositioning the work.

Let me know if I can help.
Rex