Old May 5th 05, 07:18 AM
Peter Duniho

"CJ" wrote in message ...
Y'know, I joined AOPA because of their indignation over Meigs. I'm
ignoring their reinlistment emails because of their inability to do squat.
What was the final fine? $13,000 or something?! And AOPA spent tens of
thousands for that, and acts smug.

So far. My understanding is that the investigation into the
mis-appropriated $1.2 million (or whatever it was...I think that's close)
used to tear up the airport is still underway. Fines of up to treble
damages are in store if the funds are determined to have been misused (and
that seems likely).

We'll see...but in any case, AOPA certainly did more than anyone else. Who
else are you going to support?

Freinds of Meigs needed help. AOPA promised help and threw words at them.
Meigs is toast.

Short of engaging in criminal acts, what was AOPA to do? When you're
dealing with someone willing to tear up an airport in the dead of night,
trying to handle an issue through legal channels can be impossible.

I'm also surprised that you don't consider their work to open the TFRs here
in the Puget Sound to be significant. Granted, we're still dealing with the
stupid Bangor one, but the trend is definitely an improvement, and at least
Bagor hasn't turned into a Restricted Area.

I don't think AOPA's perfect, but it's certainly far better than nothing,
and well worth the tiny annual cost for each member.

Pete