Old May 5th 05, 03:51 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article , "CJ" wrote:

Y'know, I joined AOPA because of their indignation over Meigs. I'm ignoring
their reinlistment emails because of their inability to do squat. What was
the final fine? $13,000 or something?! And AOPA spent tens of thousands
for that, and acts smug.

Freinds of Meigs needed help. AOPA promised help and threw words at them.
Meigs is toast.

Paraphrasing Boyer, "Your organization is..." nothing.

AOPA has done some good, and they are a constant lobby in Washington,
without which I suspect many more of us would be grounded due to
restrictions and excessive regulation.

However, AOPA certainly does appear to pick their battles. It seemed
pretty clear to me that Meigs wasn't a battle that they were willing to
spend a huge effort fighting. The battle had raged for years while the
City of Chicago played games and taunted the aviation community with
restrictions and harrassment. The City digs up the runway, and all of a
sudden AOPA is outraged. I was outraged years ago when my wife and I
tried to visit the terminal and were nearly subjected to a strip search
by two of "Chicago's Finest" before being turned away. The Meigs
situation had been deteriorating for years, and I suspect that AOPA was
focused on what they considered to be bigger, more important battles.
In my opinion, whatever AOPA is doing now with regards to Meigs is of
little consequence; the airport is gone and will likely never be
restored.

JKG