Old April 25th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Which airplane for teenagers to build????

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
I would consider one of the Zenith's you mentioned for a couple of

reasons.
First it's ease of construction. There are very few places where welding

is
required and the rivets used in the vast majority of the aircraft are

simple
pulled rivets as opposed to those that require bucking. The Zeniths can be
built with simple tools and scratch builders have come in less than $6,000
for the airframe.

Second since you are close enough to their factory in Mexico MO. that a
field trip to the factory is not out of the question. At least from a
distance stand point.

Also, (and I know this is going to get me flamed) from a training stand
point there are a lot more jobs that the skills learned in building the
aluminium aircraft will translate to as compaired to wood and fabric.

I don't know why that would get you flamed.

I also don't know which skill set, if either of them, has a surplus of
craftsmen for the work to be done.

Peter