Old February 14th 12, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Feb 13, 7:51*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
On Feb 13, 4:08*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:

I am just passing along observations.
Remember, the rule was created (at least) partly to reduce the temptation...
FWIW, Best Regards, Dave

Sorry, I realize I'm breaking my word about shutting up - but was that
rule created *before* the new start-cylinder rules that require you to
be below start cylinder height for 2 minutes prior to going through
the gate?

Because with the newer start-cylinder rules in place, a lot of these
concerns go away.

--Noel
(OK, really this time, I'll be quiet for a bit!)

2 minute rule has been with us since the beginning of GPS start.

Problems arise when top of lift is 5500 and top of gate is 6000 and
guys poke up into the murk.

CDs don't always follow recommended practice....

Nav devices without gyros probably are never going to constitute
instruments that "permit flight without reference to ground". GPS
plus ipaq or similar probably okay no matter what software. I don't
speak for the RC, but I think this is a pretty defensible position.
I'm planning on using XCSoar in comps in April & May.

-Evan Ludeman / T8