Old August 26th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_7_]

Default Mooney Soundproofing

"Evan Salant" wrote in message
Does anyone have any personal experience getting soundproofing in a
Mooney M20J ? How effective is it ? Will your ears still ring
without headsets ? Has anyone checked decibles before and after
soundproofing ?

From what I have read on the subject is that you are better off trying to
beat the sound before it gets into the cockpit. Typical changes are to put
1/8th thicker windows in the windshield and side windows, and to put some
kind of aftermarket muffler on the engine, like the Europeans have to do to
meet sound regulations. The windshield and side windows probably have an
STC out there, but the muffler add on is probably tougher, but the place to
start is some European folks flying Moon Pies, I would think.
--
Jim in NC