Old June 20th 17, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

I joined Sky Life on in 1974 and remained a member through 1977, I totally enjoyed myself but was luckily not good looking enough to catch Lee Barns eye. I was on the executive committee of my Chapter which was based at Aviation HS in New York City, and was aware that things were going on. The hazing ritual was wierd enough although we accepted the explanation of questioning under duress as a stress test. But it did seem as some of the better looking boys had to go through the hazing and some ritual punishment a few more times, back then this was one of the few places a teenager could learn to fly and our enthusiasm over took our sense of reason, not that the visibility of this kind of abuse was publicized and that we knew what we'd be able to report it. I lost all touch with the club after a brief visit in 1978 to the camp once more. I did keep a couple of good friends into adulthood from those days though. It's good to know that so,e how that all ended although to think he got away with it for 30 years is shocking, Lee Barns death certificate is on line and shows he died of a heart attack in 1993. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a healthy equivalent today for teenagers to learn flying in a similar environment.
All,the best to everyone out there.
Alex