Old November 18th 16, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Oklahoma Diamonds

As far as I know, the first two diamond altitude gains ever made in Oklahoma were accomplished yesterday.

Wind was SW at about 40 knots and consistent up to at least 30,000 ft. I launched just before 8:30 AM in the Silent 2 Electro (THANK YOU LEO AND JENNIFER!) and found the secondary right next to the Talihina, OK Airport. It was a pretty easy jump into the primary and with some searching i found a good climb which eventually took me to 20,000 feet!

Fort Worth Center provided an IFR Clearance for me to climb above FL180, which was very nice.

It was very smooth flying with only light turbulence in the little bit of rotor that I flew in. It had gotten bumpy down low while I was flying as thermals had started to develop.

I was pretty pleased with being able to achieve my last Diamond before lunch so I came on down for landing. Randy Teel had arrived with his 304CZ to get a tow and I ran his wing. I let Randy know the frequency for Center and where I found the best wave. He got a tow and then I derigged the glider and headed home for Wichita.

I hope Randy chimes in with some details on his flight but he made it to 21,900!

So the Oklahoma State Altitude record was broken twice. We both earned Diamond Altitude, and once again we learned a little bit more about the soaring potential of this ridge system in the middle of the USA. I can't wait to go back!

My flight: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=5472218