Old February 9th 12, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default AH and minimum equip list

On Feb 9, 10:37*am, Andy wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:04*am, Brad wrote:

My sailplane lists an Artificial Horizon as part of the minimum
equipment list, I made it that way for safety. Am I now prevented from
flying in competition?

Brad

Seems to be a strange thing to have done. *Nothing stops you adding
anything on top of the minimum listed equipment. *If I had the choice
I'd include only airspeed indicator and altimeter and I'd include the
option for those both to be electronic.

Someone will say *- what about the compass? That's not on my minimum
list now and when PF is finally available the useless compass will go
away to make room for the PF display.

I believe the answer to your qustion is - Yes.

Andy

It may seem like a strange thing to pilots never caught in a cloud or
trying to descend thru a rapidly closing blue hole, but I would rathar
have the unit in place for obvious reasons.

Flying competition was a fleeting fancy for me, and the AH issue
pretty much resolves my decision to stay a recreational flyer. Perhaps
when Bob get's another HP-24 made he will learn from my mistake.

If I was a little smarter I might be able to craft a reasonably
coherent argument conflating all the safety talks we are regularly
treated to with the AH/Competition issue, but since I am not a comp
pilot, or a literary wiz I will let it go at that.

Brad