Old May 10th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

wrote:

Bob Noel wrote:

It seems to me that you've already made up your mind wrt safety.

I have an opinion. That's not the same as being closed-minded. I'm
happy to hear the other side of the argument if you'd care to write it
down instead of just snapping back at me with one-liners.

It is perfectly safe to use a good handheld for en route in most
circumstances, provided the antenna is located correctly, and so forth.

En route RAIM is a very loose spec, compared to approach RAIM.

But, the issue here is legality.

Then, there is the question of having a current database, more for
safety than legality in this case.