Old October 22nd 03, 02:42 AM
John Mullen

"Mikhail Medved" wrote in message
om...

(snip)

OTOH they alsoguaranteed a fight with the UK, then still (just!) the

world's
leading military power.

Any proof to that opinion? The "leading military power" was removed
from the continent in a few weeks of actual fighting. The biggest
battle was the battle of Alamein, in which they fiught a small German
corps.

That battle was actually on the continent of Africa. The real biggest land
battle didn't come until 1944 when we teamed up with the US to invade
German-occupied France. Meantime we were fighting in the air, at sea, and in
the minor theatres like N Africa. Would have become important had we lost
though, doubt it not.

The Navy was strong, of course, but so far no-one won a war on
continent with only the Navy.

We did not badly to win the air and sea battles with Nazi Germany. Neither
was easy and both had costs attached. Of course we couldn't have won overall
without the support of the USA and the USSR, both of which in their own ways
hedged their bets until the decision to enter the war was forced upon them.
Of the two, that of the USSR was IMO the less honourable.

Of course, if that makes you feel beeter...

Having a fairly balanced view about history, and exchanging ideas with
people about it, both definitely make me feel better.

John