Old January 9th 04, 03:51 PM
Dave S

Gary... I was looking for actual formalas.. not wild ass guesses or
rough approximations.. Computer spreadsheets use mathematical equations.
This is something that may be used by others besides myself. I
understand the concepts.. I DIDNT have the actual calcs on hand when I
posted my request.

Gary Drescher wrote:
"Dave S" wrote in message
. net...

Ok... all you closet aeronautical engineers... I'm asking for someone to
help do my work for me.. with regards to Va..

I have an Excel Spreadsheet application that does W&B and plots it on a
graph... The form also lists certain speeds that are "static": Vx/Vy,
Vne, etc.. I would like to modify this form to list Va dependent on
the given calculated gross weight, and perhaps even doctor it up to do
density altitude computations..

Va is proportionate to the square root of the plane's gross weight. Vx, Vy,
Vl/d, Vs, and Vs1 are also proportionate to the square root of the gross
weight.

A handy approximation is that for small percentages below maximum gross
weight (say, up to 30% or so), the weight-dependent speeds diminish by half
the percentage that the weight diminishes. So, for example, if you're 20%
below max gross weight, reduce the appropriate speeds by 10%. (The
calculations should be made with regard to CAS rather than IAS, but the
difference is usually small.)

You can find a good explanation of these speeds' weight-dependency at
http://www.av8n.com/how/.

--Gary