Old November 12th 17, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Sailplane cover fabric

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 08:05:48 -0800, jfitch wrote:

On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 4:27:34 PM UTC-8,
wrote:
Is Sunbrella marine canvus suitable for sailplane cover? Felt will be
added to protect actual canopy from scratches

Sunbrella makes a fabric (Sunbrella Supreme) with a soft flocking
underside to protect delicate surfaces. One issue you may find with
Sunbrella is that it will make a very heavy sailplane cover. The
fabrics being used by the various cover manufacturers are much lighter
than Sunbrella canvas.

Clouddancers use dual layer covers: the inside layer looks like a cotton
dimpled fabric with a non-woven breathable outer layer for the fuselage,
fin and tops of the wing and tail surfaces and an open mesh material
covering the wing and tail undersurfaces. I got my set in spring, 2010.
They are light and easy to handle and still look good, so should be set
for several years more.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK