Old September 5th 18, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Bill Gawthrop(F8)

I've shared many happy flights, hangar conversations and dinners with Bill and Diane. I most recall a day at Montague when I was hopelessly low with limited landout possibilities, trying to make a weak thermal work. Bill rolled in below me like it was no problem at all. Up we went.

Up you go, my friend. It's been a pleasure to share the sky with a gentle soul and fierce competitor.

Condolences to all who cared about him.

Andy Blackburn
9B

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 8:22:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
"Bill Gawthrop (F8) died August 23rd at his home in Northern California. Bill was an avid student, a generous teacher and a gracious competitor. Bill began his love affair with fight, flying hang gliders in Colorado where he established several still-used soaring sites. Bill took up gliding in 2001 and he was quickly addicted. He won seven regionals, an open class national and went to the worlds in Benalla, Australia in 2017. He also holds several speed records, the most recent in 2016, a 1000 km speed record out of Ely, Nevada. He was happiest when he was gliding long distances over unfamiliar territory.
Bill loved the soaring community. After a long flight or a well-fought race he enjoyed sharing the stories of the day across the dinner table. Bill will be greatly missed by his wife Diane and his fellow glider pilots."

A memorial service for Bill is being planned for sometime late October or early November and details will be posted when finalized.