Old July 22nd 03, 08:06 PM
Maule Driver

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
Anyone ever throw a weight in the back to get within allowable weight

and
balance?

Never done it, but I've read of cases. I've considered doing it myself to
make my Maule a bit less squirrelly. Shouldn't be a problem.

Weight in the back (rearward cg) will tend to make an a/c squirrelly. A
more forward cg makes it more brick-like. Flying with 4 and baggage and
almost full fuel (gotta love it), I have to aggressively move baggage
forward to get it inbounds (flt bag underneath front passengers knees, small
dense items underneath rear seat, rear seat passengers may have a light item
on their laps or around feet). At the rear limit, it definitely gets
squirrelly. Feels unstable. Hunts a bit in pitch. Very sensitive on the
controls.

But it is nicer to fly just inside that rear limit.