Old January 28th 04, 03:31 AM
Cockpit Colin

Most kids will take their lead from their parents - if Mum and Dad are
freaking out the kids assume there is something to be afraid of - but if
Mum/Dad are having a great time you can usually 'con' them into enjoying it
at that age too.

Consider putting young child / parent in back - and 5 y/o in front right
(with seat right back of course (show them the wooden dip stick that you're
going to break over his knuckles if he touches the controls (with a
smile))) - you can guage reactions during taxi / runups etc - if in doubt,
do a single circuit with just parent / child in the back (then swap child
etc).

My experiances have been that despite all of our cautions and concerns ...

.... they simply just go to sleep!

Hope this helps!

CC

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a friend who really wants me to take he & his two boys up- they
are 3 & 5. I am worried about them "freaking out"- especially the
little one. They have never flown before (commercially or otherwise).

Of course they need to be in back of the 172, which would make it
difficult for my friend to reassure them, etc.

I'm especially concerned about the younger one for the obvious reason
that 3 is pretty young. To the folks that have a lot of experience
taking up little kids- what are the rough odds that he'll be just fine
vs. having a cow? I need to decide if I should suggest that this isn't
a great idea or not. TIA.