Old January 26th 04, 03:34 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote in message
I thought the "S" is ACARS stood for "system"

Nothing comes "from" an ACARS.

The data link consists of two radios, an Inmarsat satcom and a VDL enabled
VHF com.

SkygodTJ spread ACARS ignorance across usenet, but that can not make it
true. The reason an ACARS is necessary is because someone made a decision
to build the ACARS using Williamsburg ARINC 429. (aka ARINC 628) That means
that the VHF com B and Satcom need the ACARS to communicate with an FMS.

The CNX-80 has VDL and it will be spreading to everywhere.

Tarver Engineering wrote:

"Saryon" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:13:49 -0500, JJ wrote:

When commercial aircraft fly across the big pond during IFR weather,

how
does FAA and foreign Air Traffic control keep an eye on them without
radar? I understand most flights to and from Europe go up over
Newfoundland and over south of Greenland and Iceland. Can a radar see
out that far? Just curious. Any web links that show the routes would

be
appreciated.

Aircraft entering the NAT (North Atlantic Track) system use
daily-changing routes which vary depending on weather. Which track a
specific flight would take depends on where they're coming from, what
the flight planning shows as best winds, etc etc etc. Since you don't
have radar coverage out in the middle of the ocean, prior to and while
in the NAT system they use ACARS

ACARS is a switch, which has little to do with the Inmarsat Satcom the

ACARS
routes to the cockpit. In fact the misnomer that ACARS is the data link
only serves to retard progress.