Old January 29th 04, 10:10 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Colin Kingsbury" wrote in message
news
According to my brother-in-law who flies long-haul int'l routes for UPS,

the
trans-Atlantic routes are typically out of radar coverage for more time

than
the Pacific routes. At least for them, most of their routes go

great-circle
up over Alaska, back down along the Siberian coast and on to Japan,

Taipei,
or Manila, and are under radar service almost the whole time. Atlantic
routes on the other hand have to be out over the water between

Newfoundland,
Iceland, and the UK. But I suppose the NRT-HNL run would have you over the
water quite a while, probably well beyond ETOPS limits.

Weiss just posts things, without any idea if they are true, or not.

"John R Weiss" wrote in message

Radar coverage is not required. Trips across the Pacific go much longer

without
ATC radar coverage.