Old February 28th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Texas Parasol Plans...

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:38:44 -0500, Curtis Scholl
wrote:

Cla

Bearing properties are used when designing mechanically fastened joints.
The purpose of a bearing test is to determine the the deformation of a
hole as a function of the applied bearing stress. The test specimen is
basically a piece of sheet or plate with a carefully prepared hole some
standard distance from the edge. Edge-to-hole diameter ratios of 1.5 and
2.0 are common. A hardened pin is inserted through the hole and an AXIAL
load applied to the specimen and the pin. The bearing stress is computed
by dividing the load applied to the pin, which bears against the edge of
the hole, by the bearing area (the product of the pin diameter and the
sheet or plate thickness).

Different axis and on edge rather than in tension or compression. The
flat surface described by the hole in the part as it passes through the
thickness of the tube or plate of the hole. The stress is spread through
the material differently.

Curtis S.

And I am not an engineer either, I make rocket motors, and need this
information constantly.

I understand what the bearing strength is - I'm just saying it is the
wrong strength to design to when designing the wing, as the
compressive, shear, and tension strengths more realistically represent
the loads in the wing.

If you substitute the tensile strength numbers into the calculations,
I'll bet you find the wing fails around 2 Gs, which is what the test
found.