Old December 18th 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Oudie 2's needed

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 15:19:42 -0800, gschibler wrote:

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 7:13:42 AM UTC-8, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
Yes this is what I would suggest. As a new XC pilot using XCsoar
originally, and now Top Hat now, I think it is the best way to start
using a moving map glide computer. Because I was initially able to
bring my phone home and mess with XCSoar while not in the glider (or
even at the airport) it made learning how to read and use a moving
map/glide computer much much easier. An older Samsung phone (galaxy
5,6,7,8,9 or Note 4,5,6,7,8,9) work great and are pretty cheep if you
don't have one laying around already. The only thing I would say is
that have someone experienced with XCSoar or TopHat configure them
because the stock layout and settings are less then optimal.

I would agree that the ability to learn how to use the flight computer
is greatly enhanced at home, when you don't also have the burden of
flying the ship. But with the Oudie, you don't have to take the Oudie
home to do so. There is a good simulator available for Windows PCs. (I
don't think it's available for MAC) You can bring your .igc file home,
load it into the PC and fire up the Oudie Simulator. And if the student
wants to play with the Oudie even before making their own flight, they
can download an .igc file from the OLC for the area they expect to fly
and practice on that one.

Same for the others: XCSoar and LK8000 both have versions that run under
Windows, downloadable from the same place as the versions you'll fly with
that run under Android and WinCE. You use Linux? SYM, XCSoar and LK8000
run OK under Wine (a Windows emulator for Linux) and IIRC both XCSoar and
LK8000 now have native Linux versions.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org