Old September 18th 03, 01:22 AM
Henry Kisor

"Neal" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:31:18 GMT, "Henry Kisor"
wrote:

I've got a Flybuddy Loran in my C150. The manual and the 337 identify it
simply as a "Flybuddy Loran." Is the Flybuddy Loran 800 often mentioned

on
this newsgroup the same item or is it a different one?

I ask cuz I'm going to see if I can get the 1993 database card upgraded.

Henry

If it has the database on a removable "Flybrary" card (that looks
sorta like a laptop PC's PCMCIA card) for the database, and the
database is not stored solely on flash memory chips inside the Loran,
then you may still get updated database cards from Garmin. Ask for the
one-time update, and you'll have to pay a bit extra for the new larger
memory card it comes with, because your old card is too small capacity
to be of any trade-in value.

http://www.garminat.com/138-0422.shtml

Also you need to check and see if your firmware operating system
version is in the supported version list (probably is, if you do
indeed have the card-based database version of the Flybuddy 800,
usually known as the 800+ (800 Plus). The earliest 800's that only had
internal memory and not the database on a card, is not upgradeable.

Thanks. The Flybuddy does have a removeable card (looks more like a thick
credit card to me than a PCMCIA card). I suppose I must have a radio shop
install the replacement card for the installation to be legal.

Any idea what the updated card costs?

Henry