Old October 13th 04, 02:58 AM
C Kingsbury

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Cribsheet" wrote in message
EXPORTING JOBS IMPORTING POVERTY

The U.S. population is increasing by about three million legal and

illegal
immigrants each year while jobs are being exported by the bucketful.

All legal and most illegal immigrants come here because there are jobs
available.

I have very mixed feelings on this issue. On one hand, I'm usually a
let-the-market-decide laissez-faire capitalist in favor of open borders.

On the other hand, it's pretty clear the last thing we need are more
uneducated, unskilled workers. The market will always respond positively to
more employees; it's good for keeping costs down. But social stability is an
issue as well.

I'll take all the Chinese engineers, Indian programmers, and European
designers that want to come here. Polish masons are good, as are Irish
plasterers. Educated professionals and skilled tradesmen we can always use
more of. But let's get unemployment in the inner cities down a bit before we
let more in, don't you think?

-cwk.