Old December 21st 17, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring in Slovenia

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 10:06:03 AM UTC-8, wrote:
We're planning a trip this summer to Slovenia, and I would like to find a club or commercial glider port where I could spend 2-3 days soaring. I have a glider rating in the U.S. and have flown a couple times in Germany at DASSU (Great place, by the way!). Based on my experience in Germany, I assume I would need to fly with an instructor in Slovenia. Does anyone have an experience they could share about soaring in Slovenia while on vacation. Should I be looking at locations other than Lesce-Bled?
Thanks!
Tim

Tim,

I flew at Aeroclub ALC Lesce-Bled in a DG-500 with a club pilot in 2015. It's a short drive from the popular summer holiday and tourist destination Lake Bled. Spectacular mountain and ridge soaring in southern Alps bordering Austria. Great fun to see all the mountain hikers below too. Not all the club members speak English, but there were enough so that I could get up in the air without any fuss. I made a booking online in advance as well. I had a demonstration flight, so I'm not aware of the extra hurdles that you will have to jump to be PIC yourself. Recommended.

http://www.alc-lesce.si/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesce-Bled_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bled

James Cooper