Old August 14th 04, 02:43 PM
Jim Cummiskey

you were at a position different from where you claim to be

Nope. I was at a position EXACTLY where I claimed to be. I was 5 miles
from the airport, and I WAS on final. Thus "5 Miles Final."

As I have attempted to point out numerous times, the real issue is: "Must
you be on the extended centerline to be on final?" You believe the answer
is "Yes." I belive that the answer is "No."

Aviation is funny like that. Do you slip with flaps? Do you climb initally
at Vx or Vy on takeoff? Do you power for altitude and pitch for airspeed
(or vice versa)? We can agree to disagree, but I think you are just as
wrong as you appear to believe I am.

Pete, please answer the following question: "Have you ever approached the
runway on the final leg of your pattern NOT on the extended centerline?"
Congratulations, Pete! You just flew what somebody called an "angled final"
in an earlier email.

I like the expression "angled final" in some ways. It accurately captures
my contention that ALL FINALS ARE ANGLED. The trivial case is, of course,
the final that just happens to be on the extended centerline (this would be
the 0 deg angle). Thus, since all finals are angled, "angled" is redundant.

Regards, Jim

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Jim Cummiskey" wrote in message
[...]
In short, I've concluded my decision-making and behavior in this

particular
situation to be safe, legal, justifiable, and 100% correct.

You are hilarious. By your own admission, you were at a position

different
from where you claim to be, and yet you still persist in thinking that a
bunch of other different statements make you right. You might want to
(re?)read the FAA's publications regarding the five hazardous attitudes.

Whatever...you're right, this is Usenet, and it takes all sorts. I just
hope I'm not around the next time you report your position. I prefer that
people claiming to be at a particular spot actually *be there*.

Pete