Old June 4th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Gee, I'm sorry that I didn't write out all the details, but
my memory is accurate. I have no guilt or expectations.
The reporter had been on assignment in Africa and was very
glad he didn't have to live there.

Being glad to live in America rather than Africa is completely different
from the obscene idea of being glad that one's ancestors were enslaved. By
analogy, a Jewish American whose ancestors came here to escape the Nazi
Holocaust can certainly be glad to be living in America, but it would be
obscene for him to be glad that the Holocaust occurred.

A responsible person would not publicly ascribe such a horrific sentiment to
an African American author without bothering to verify and document that his
recollection is correct. But you apparently fail to appreciate how horrific
the sentiment really is (perhaps because you still have a warm, fuzzy
Confederate impression of slavery).

Anyone not blinded by right-wing ideology would find it immediately apparent
that if a respected black author had written a book saying what you think
you remember reading, the resulting outcry would have been enormous, and
memorable to all of us. It didn't happen.

--Gary