Old April 22nd 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Default trailer for LSA: steel or alu?

On 04/22/2011 04:46 PM, Tony wrote:
On Apr 12, 5:27 am, Tom De
wrote:
In ,
says...

I recently acquired a nice Rotax-powered two-seater, but am hard pressed
for storage. So I might well want to store it on a trailer, that I could
well build myself. Friends I consulted seemed to take it for granted I
begin by welding together a frame of steel profiles, paint it with
primer and gloss, then attach an axle and a few other paraphernalia.

But why not bolt together a few lengths of aluminium? No need to paint
or weld - or is this over simple?

( ... )

I have my glider in a steel framed enclosed trailer (.045" thick
aluminum skin). It has been tipped over twice. Once in heavy winds,
once thanks to inept driving (me). Both times the trailer absorbed
the impact and protected the glider inside it. I don't think I would
consider anything but steel.

Thank you, Tony. There was no need to convince me, Tom already offered
sufficient advice AND hands-down assistance at the design and
construction of a steel trailer frame. I am still wondering about
covering, though, so I'd be glad to have more details about how you
covered yours. Do you have steel uprights too, welded to the trailer
frame, to which your alu sheet is riveted?