Old December 28th 17, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default The Reformed Smoker Challenge

Yep, people look for different challenges. Not much difference at all in skill between an ASW27 and an ASH26, only some convenience in failed attempts.. On the other hand, done in a 1-26 or a hang glider - that is some skill difference. (and I have flown hang gliders and 1-26s without achieving 1000K!).

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 6:47:19 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 3:27:43 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Jfitch, I agree whole heartedly! 1000k has been done a few times in a 1-26 as have just under 50 people who have gotten their diamond badge exclusively in the 1-26. These little machines seperate the men from the boys. I've had glass, sold em and got into redoing all my badges in the 1-26. I'm having a ball and relearning how to soar xc where all that gets you down the road is your witts. Miss a thermal and your looking for a landing spot. Making low saves become a non issue as are outlandings. That becomes half the fun. You can keep the engine, if the tow plane isn't available, my truck, a teenager, and 2000 ft of rope always is. Launching is never a problem.

The hang glider buys will laugh at you all!

Tom