Old October 6th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Barnaby Lecture

On Oct 6, 10:34*am, jcarlyle wrote:

There were many good points that you made, but I was intrigued by your
claim that the US encouraged safer behavior than the Europeans via
deliberate rules changes.

Yes, this caught my attention too. One could look at the highly
dangerous US practice of changing a task in the air 10 minutes before
task opening and draw a quite different conclusion.

I suppose it all depends on which particular rules touch your hot
button.

I enjoyed reading the lecture though as I've been around long enough
to experinece all the changes being discussed. I had 3 incidents
running start lines and don't miss then at all, but I still prefer the
50ft line finish although I seldom finished that low. Nothing to do
with any buzz from flying low, just that the whole thing can be
executed eyes outside where they belong.

Andy