Old March 26th 19, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best communications for Soaring Club

On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 8:53:25 PM UTC-6, wrote:
My US based club has a messy system of making announcements and shared discussions. We are in the torture of reply all emails. The good news is we want to go to something else.

What communications systems work for other clubs?

In order to prevent issues from "falling through the cracks", my club tried Slack because one person used it at work and wanted the club to try it.Â* He set up different discussion channels for board members, tow pilots, IPs, etc.Â* In the first month, he and maybe three others used it.Â* By the second month, when the novelty had worn off, only he used it.Â* We quickly abandoned Slack and kept on using email, flawed as it is.

Another member proposed another collaboration tool that HE used at work. We said no, thanks, to that.Â* I think the club reluctantly concluded that effective club communication and collaboration/work depend much more on motivation and focus, not on any "collaboration" tool.Â*

I'm reminded of Sharepoint use in the military, when I worked there.Â*Â* With theÂ* innumerable functions it offered and the recurring Sharepoint training we all received, relatively few people in any office consistently used even the simplest functions, like downloading and uploading documents.Â* When something really needed to be done, people just used email or even spoked to each other (!)

Not being a Luddite.Â* Just observing that fancy tools require a learning curve, a dedicated effort by the group to adopt them, and usually someone to administer/maintain the tool(s) (another thing that could fall through the cracks).Â* The specific communication technology probably won't address the root causes of poor communication, if there are such causes.