Old July 10th 03, 09:52 PM
Lynn Coffelt

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

When a WWII aircraft fired off a fifty-caliber bullet from a Browning
M-2 mg, how much weight did it shed?

(That would of course include the weight of the powder and shell and
the links if any.)

Thanks!

OK, not WWII aircraft, but older jet fighters with guns (and ammo) in the
nose (F-84E, P(or)F-80 for example) retained the links and cases after
firing as weight and balance was fairly critical. Especially the F-80, where
if I think I remember the CG was supposed to lie in a range of nine-tenths
of an inch from a point on the mean aerodynamic chord. (Cannot recall now if
that was + or -, or total range)
Old Chief Lynn